Current:Home > ScamsGen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says -Financium
Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-06 10:22:01
Retired Gen. Mark Milley, who served as chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff in the Trump and Biden administrations, has had both his security detail and his security clearance revoked, the Pentagon says.
New Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth "informed General Milley today that he is revoking the authorization for his security detail and suspending his security clearance as well," Pentagon spokesman John Ullyot told CBS News in a statement Tuesday night.
Ullyot said Hegseth "also directed" the Defense Department's Office of Inspector General to "conduct an inquiry into the facts and circumstances surrounding Gen. Milley's conduct so that the Secretary may determine whether it is appropriate to reopen his military grade review determination."
Acting Defense Department Inspector General Stephen Stebbins received a request to review whether Milley, a four-star general, should be stripped of a star, a spokesperson with the Pentagon's inspector general's office also told CBS News. Stebbins is reviewing the request.
Mr. Trump nominated Milley to head the Joint Chiefs during his first term, a position Milley held for a full four-year term from 2019 until 2023.
Mr. Trump and Milley, however, had a public falling out in the final months of Mr. Trump's first term over several incidents, beginning with an apology Milley issued for taking part, while dressed in fatigues, in the photo opin front of St. John's Church in June 2020 after federal officers cleared out social justice protesters from Lafayette Park so Mr. Trump could walk to the church from the White House.
A book published in September 2021revealed that Milley had also engaged in two phone calls — one on Oct. 30, 2020, and the second on Jan. 8, 2021, two days after the Capitol insurrection — with Chinese General Li Zuocheng of the People's Liberation Army in order to assure him that the U.S. would not launch an attack against China and that the U.S. was stable.
At the time of the revelation, Mr. Trump claimed Milley should be tried for "treason." Then, in a shocking 2023 social media post, Mr. Trump suggested the calls constituted a "treasonous act" that could warrant execution.
In an October 2023 interviewwith "60 Minutes," Milley said the calls were "an example of deescalation. So — there was clear indications — that the Chinese were very concerned about what they were observing — here in the United States."
According to another 2021 book, Milley feared that Mr. Trump would attempt a coupafter losing the 2020 election and made preparations in case such a plan had been carried out.
On Jan. 20, as he was leaving office, former President Joe Biden preemptively pardonedMilley along with others he thought could be targeted by the Trump administration.
In a statement Tuesday, Joe Kasper, Defense Department Chief of Staff, told CBS News that "undermining the chain of command is corrosive to our national security, and restoring accountability is a priority for the Defense Department under President Trump's leadership."
The Trump administration has also revoked the federal security details of former Trump Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, former Trump national security adviser John Bolton, former Trump special envoy on Iran Brian Hook and Dr. Anthony Fauci, former longtime director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.
Melissa Quinn contributed to this report.
- In:
- Pentagon
- Mark Milley
- Donald Trump
- Defense Department
Faris Tanyos is a news editor for CBSNews.com, where he writes and edits stories and tracks breaking news. He previously worked as a digital news producer at several local news stations up and down the West Coast.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (459)
Related
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- Not 'brainwashed': Miranda Derrick hits back after portrayal in 'Dancing for the Devil'
- Virginia authorities search for woman wanted in deaths of her 3 roommates
- New 'Hunger Games' book and film adaptation in the works: 'Sunrise on the Reaping'
- DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
- Vanna White bids emotional goodbye to Wheel of Fortune host Pat Sajak ahead of final episode
- Disinformation campaign uses fake footage to claim attack on USS Eisenhower
- Glee's Darren Criss And Wife Mia Swier Welcome Baby No. 2
- Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
- North Carolina House speaker says university athletics scheduling bill isn’t going further
Ranking
- Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
- Biden campaign ramps up efforts to flip moderate Republicans in 2024
- Minnesota Vikings unveil 'Winter Warrior' alternate uniforms as 'coldest uniform' in NFL
- 'Organic' fruit, veggie snacks for kids have high levels of lead, Consumer Reports finds
- The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
- No arrests yet in street party shooting that killed 1, injured 27 in Ohio
- Diana Ross, Eminem and Jack White perform for thousands as former Detroit eyesore returns to life
- Donald Trump joined TikTok with a UFC appearance video. He tried to ban the app as POTUS
Recommendation
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
'He’s so DAMN GOOD!!!': What LeBron James has said about Dan Hurley in the past
UN Secretary-General Calls for Ban on Fossil Fuel Advertising, Says Next 18 Months Are Critical for Climate Action
The prosecution is wrapping up in Hunter Biden’s gun trial. There are 2 more witnesses expected
Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
2024 Belmont Stakes: How to watch, post positions and field for Triple Crown horse race
Pat Sajak’s final episode as ‘Wheel of Fortune’ host is almost here
Florida’s Supreme Court rejects state prosecutor’s bid to be reinstated after suspension by DeSantis